8124 Louisiana 56
Chauvin, LA 70344
Since 2000, LUMCON has offered students an opportunity to gain knowledge and experience about Louisiana’s coastal and marine environments through its annual summer camp. Participants of this hands-on, science-based camp learn about some of Louisiana’s most treasured resources. The week-long residential camp immerses students in the environments they are learning about. Campers learn through engaging activities in the laboratory, in the field and on research vessels. LEAD Camp is ideal for a high school student that may be considering a career in marine or environmental sciences, or any student interested in learning how we are all connected to Louisiana’s rich coastal environments.
- cruise aboard a research vessel
- trip to one of the barrier islands
- canoe trip through the salt marsh
- vertebrate and invertebrate dissection labs
- plankton lab
- plant and animal population surveys
- beach surveys
- and much more
Students in grades 9 through 12 are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Submit the following information by June 10, 2015:
- completed application,
- one-page essay about why you want to attend the camp, what you hope to learn and what interests you about science and
- a letter of recommendation from a current teacher including their contact information
Applicants will be notified about the status of their applications about one week after the application deadline. No applications will be reviewed before the application deadline.